Punchline or Sage?

Rodney King provided some of the most talked-about rhetoric of the 1990's when he said:

People, I just want to say, you know, can we all get along? Can we get along? Can we stop making it, making it horrible for the older people and the kids?...It’s just not right. It’s not right. It’s not, it’s not going to change anything. We’ll, we’ll get our justice....Please, we can get along here. We all can get along. I mean, we’re all stuck here for a while. Let’s try to work it out. Let’s try to beat it. Let’s try to beat it. Let’s try to work it out.

The pastor at my church talked about the election yesterday. He talked about our duty as Christians to submit to the governing authorities. I think he is absolutely correct, that our duty according to Romans 13, is to submit to and respect and honor those appointed to govern over us. I am guilty of not doing that with many of our current leaders, on a local and national level. But I am commanded to do that. I only hope that I remember that sermon every time I open my mouth to complain about someone in leadership. Because I put myself here. I agreed to work for my employers, so submit to their authority. I agreed to live in Oregon, so I must submit to its authorities. I agreed to live in the United States of America, so I must submit to its governing authorities. I don't have to agree, but by virtue of the fact that I live where I live, I have agreed to submit to certain authorities. If I don't like it, that is my problem and mine alone. I don't have the right to drag people through the mud along with me. Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waiting For a Miracle

First Scoop...and a monkey!

More on the kid...