Change


Now that Barack Obama has secured the nomination through delegate count, I can not resist the urge to mention that I registered this year as a Democrat. I have never been affiliated with a political party officially, but I have finally had enough. I have not voted for a presidential candidate since Ross Perot in 1992. I was 18 years old and sick of the party system. I then spent the better part of 16 years ignoring politics and thinking that there was never going to be a good choice at the national level. I believed then, and still do, that a person has to make serious compromises to reach power at that level. Only violent sociopath dictators make it that far without compromise. But I have also learned that life mainly consists of one compromise after another and the path to becoming president is no different.

What I like about Obama is his insistence on hope, because hope is a wonderful thing. Bill Clinton has major character flaws, yet he led the government out of debt. Which is more important, that he be perfect personally or that he lead the rest of us to fiscal responsibility as a nation? I know enough Christians to know that Bill Clinton is not the only man to stray, or lie about it. I have also seen Christian presidents who led this nation into more debt more quickly than any other in history. Life is full of choices. I do not agree with democrats on every issue, but then again, I am not an issue voter. I want something different that what we have now. I don't know if Obama is exactly what I want. But at least he is trying to rethink government.

I stole the picture above from the great folks over at the Bilerco Project.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waiting For a Miracle

First Scoop...and a monkey!

More on the kid...